Four weeks? How?! The first days went by fairly slowly, but I think we have entered the time-flies period. Supposedly because the daily grind is well and truly on, but I carry on trying to maintain the work-hard-play-hard attitude. After all, I’m here, why waste spare time being tired at home when I can be out exploring?
On the work front:
- I have bilingualised (totally a word) my information sheet and consent form for the phase of fieldwork I want to do here, and just need to ratchet up a time table for participants (museum staff for now) to fill in before I start observations.
- I will be taking the freedom to do some observations in the Natural History museum next door to ZJSTM.
- Still holding out hope to go to Shanghai Science and Technology Museum at some point, and some municipal-level museums.
- My supervisor at PKU gave me tickets to China Science and Technology Museum that expire by the end of the year, I guess I’ll pop in there when I run back up to Beijing to pick up my passport.
- Beginning to write a “participatory observation report” (not participant observation) of life in the office as combination field-notes. They’ll be (genuinely!) fun.
- Still writing That Other Thing. Feel free to shout at me in the comments because I NEED TO FINISH THE DAMN THING.
- (But you all know what happens when you have an interesting thing to do, then a much bigger and shinier thing comes along, also for you to tackle? Yes, like that.)
- Observations. Let’s roll.
In life however, I will admit that today I woke up (I was going to go into the office) thought “WHATEVER”, and spent the whole day out with some local friends. It was great.
No post complete without pictures! Especially food pictures, mmm.
I even decided to do away with any guilt, and just enjoy the day, which I did. We basically ate, looked around some shops, wandered, stopped for coffee, wandered, looked at the musical fountain show (video might come later if I decide it’s good enough to blog), wandered, stopped for a light dinner, wandered, looked at the musical fountain show WITH LIGHTS in the evening, all interspersed with chatting about precisely everything. Can all Sundays be like this? Please? I promise I’ll work extra hard the other six days of the weeks if it can be made so.